Trump Says Coronavirus Guidelines May Be Extended To Early Summer … Or Later

VIDEO — Trump Fights Back in Fiery CPAC Speech

(FamilyRetirementClub.Com)- The White House’s coronavirus guidelines are set to expire in just about a week. The guidelines, which were first set up in mid-March, are only in place until the end of April.
However, at a press briefing on Thursday, President Donald Trump said he may be extending those guidelines until early summer — or even later than that.
“We may, and we may go beyond that,” Trump said in response to a question of whether the guidelines would need to be extended until the beginning of summer. “We’re going to have to see where it is. I think people are going to know just out of common sense. At some point, we won’t have to do that. But until we feel safe, we’re going to be extending.”
The guidelines that the White House released in mid-March and then extended through the end of April aren’t legally binding. Instead, they are recommendations for how states should act in areas such as business, social distancing and potential stay-at-home orders.
Trump has consistently said that he wants to re-open the economy and get the nation back to normal as quickly as possible. At the same time, though, he has realized that it may not be likely as aggressively as he first had hoped.
Many medical experts and forecasts have predicted that the U.S. will be dealing with the coronavirus outbreak through the fall and possibly even the winter, right as the flu season starts to kick up. That has convinced the White House to be more cautious when it comes to the economy re-opening and relaxing restrictions.
Last week, Trump and the White House Coronavirus Task Force released a list of recommendations for how states could begin to re-open their economies. It’s a three-phase plan where the state can relax more and more restrictions as they move from one phase to the next. To even enter phase one, though, states must show a two-week period of declining confirmed cases of coronavirus.
According to Vice President Mike Pence, 16 states have thus far publicly released “formal re-opening plans,” though not all of those states will put them in motion right away. At Thursday’s briefing, Pence said:
“At the present moment, 16 states have released formal re-opening plans. States are beginning to make those plans, and we’re encouraged to see so many states embracing the phased approach to re-opening their economies that’s contemplated in our guidelines for opening up America again.”
Georgia was the first state to re-open their state, with Governor Brian Kemp allowing retail locations such as barber shops, fitness centers, salons and bowling alleys to open, despite not meeting the qualifications of the White House guidelines. In fact, Trump said he “totally disagrees” with Kemp’s decision as to how he will open up his state. He expanded by saying:
“I want the states to open more than he does. I don’t want this thing to flare up because you’re deciding to do something that is not in the guidelines.”