(FamilyRetirementClub.com)- Conservatives have accused Big Tech firms of biased practices against conservative voices. Most recently, Twitter has been hammered for censoring conservative voices, including that of President Donald Trump.
This week, though, a report from Breitbart News shows that “Google is deliberately working to interfere with the reelection of Trump in 2020.”
The conservative news site says the search engine giant is doing this by removing Breitbart and other conservative websites from search results. Breitbart released data this week that shows traffic to its site from organic traffic from Google search results is down 63% since 2016.
In May, Google instituted a core search update. Before that update, Breitbart said they used to get tens of thousands of visits per day based on Google search results related to Joe Biden. After the update, that dropped to zero.
A professional search engine analyst hired by Breitbart told the company he has “never experienced such a wholesale removal of rank and visibility on specific concepts on a site as I have seen being applied to Breitbart.
“The sheer fact that there are thousands of pages of Breitbart content that reference Biden that were ranking before May 6, that now have no rank or impressions on search is a sign of manipulation, not algorithmic devaluing.”
Research Dr. Robert Epstein says Google could have swung up to 2.6 million votes in the 2016 election to Hillary Clinton. He said he believes Google placed Breitbart on a “blacklist.”
“For news websites large and small, Google — in combination with its YouTube offshoot — typically drives between 30 and 50 percent of the traffic to those sites,” he said. “For the New York Times, the percentage is currently at 39.3%. At the moment, Google is responsible for just 9% of Breitbart’s traffic, and YouTube is sending a negligible amount, if any. Given the size of Breitbart’s audience, this suggests to me that Breitbart is listed on one or more of Google’s blacklists.”
Epstein told the Senate in 2018 that he identified “nine different blacklists Google maintains to suppress information worldwide.” Those blacklists cover everything from search results to Google Maps, autocomplete feature, Google News, YouTube searches, Ad Sense, AdWords, website quarantines and banned user accounts.
“Those are the lists that Google denies having — even under oath in Congressional hearings — even though two of those blacklists were leaked from the company last year by whistleblower Zach Vorhies. How many blacklists they actually maintain is unknown, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a hundred or more,” Epstein said.
Even Google’s CEO Sundar Pichai admitted to similar lists at a hearing this week in front of the House of Representatives. He said lists that contain websites blocked from search results “can involve a manual portion.” That was in direct opposition to a statement he made earlier, claiming that the censorship tools Google uses are managed “algorithmically,” saying the company doesn’t “manually tune” any search results.