3 Dead In Stabbing in Asylum Seeker Hostel in Glasgow, Scotland

(FamilyRetirementClub.com)- Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced on Friday that a stabbing that took place in a Glasgow hostel on Friday was not being treated as a terrorist incident. The incident saw three people killed and others injured in a hotel that was being used to give asylum seekers free accommodation.

The “major incident” on Friday afternoon saw the city center of Glasgow, Scotland, put on lockdown as police and paramedics rushed to the scene of the stabbing. Glasgow Live reported the incident as a “mass stabbing” which is believed to have taken place at the Park Inn Hotel. Injured people were carried out on stretchers.

Videos posted by local residents showed armed police officers arriving at the scene.

The Scottish Police Federation that that one police officer was injured and is receiving treatment. An official statement explained that the suspect was shot dead.

“I would like to reassure the public that this is a contained incident and that the wider public is not at risk,” the statement explained. “Armed police officers attended the incident and I can confirm that a male suspect was shot by an armed officer.”

The statement reassured people that the police are not searching for anybody else involved in the incident.

The Park Inn Hotel in Glasgow is one of the very few hotels actually open in the United Kingdom. Current coronavirus lockdown restrictions mean that hotels are yet to reopen. However, the hotel is currently being leased by the British government to give free housing to asylum seekers. Eyewitnesses told the media that asylum seekers were in the hotel during the time of the attack.

One witness told British news channel Sky News that he saw people being treated and that there was blood on the ground.

“I saw people running out of the hotel with the police shouting, ‘put your hands up, put your hands up, come out…I saw at least three people injured and they were taken away in ambulances,” the witness said.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson expressed his sympathies with victims and their families and thanked the emergency services.